Currently my Rogue is level 78.5 and is helping the Argent Crusade to kill Alliance the scourge. I’ve respected into a shadowstep dagger build and grabbed the Shadowdance talent.
The daggers I’m using (which dropped off the AH at a decent price) are:
Ok, here’s the (dagger) build and I’m using it to level. Feel free to comment. I don’t claim to be any great shakes at PvP, the 3.0 patch killed any thoughts of competence that I might have been having. I’m sure that experienced PvPers will roll their eyes at some of my choices here:
- 5 points Malice: Gotta love the crits.
- 5 points Dual Weild
- 5 points Precision: More hits = more DPS
- 5 points Relentless Strikes
- 3 points Master of Deception: Great for PvP
- 2 points Opportunity
- 2 in Dirty Tricks: The extra range is surprisingly useful, especially since you can now sap almost anything living.
- Ghostly Strike: Instant strike, more damage, more dodge, and a combo point to bot. What more could you want?
- 3 pts in Serrated Blades: Lead-in to Hemorrhage
- 3 pts in Setup: If you have a decent dodge skill this will add a useful number of combo points.
- 3 pts in Initiative: More combo points.
- 2 in Improved Ambush: +50% to crit. ’nuff said.
- Preparation: Kindof the “Get out of Jail Free” card.
- 2 in Dirty Deeds
- 3 pts in Master of Subtlety: More damage attacking from stealth.
- 5 pts in Deadliness
- Premeditation: I stick this in a macro with my openers, so I get those 2 points a lot.
- 5 points in Sinister Calling:+15% Agility, yummy.
- 2 pts in Waylay: More for PvP
- 5 points in Slaughter from the Shadows: I Ambush and Hemo alot, so this is good.
- 2 pts to spend elsewhere (at lev 79 & 80,) which I may stick into Improved Eviscerate.
If you open with Ambush (or Cheap Shot or Garrote) you will,much more often than not, see an immediate 5 combo points ready to go. So you do Opener and Finisher, bang bang, such as Ambush + Eviscerate. Get a couple of crits there and you open with some nice damage.
If you use Eviscerate then check out a Glyph of Eviscerate.
Here’s what I’ve been experimenting with:
- Ambush + Eviscerate
- Shadow Dance
- Cheap Shot and move behind
- gouge and move behind…
Fighting more than one mob?
- Sap one
- Cheap Shot another
- Blind the 3rd
- Gouge one and move behind
Here’s the opener macro that I use, which I found on Arena Junkies (lotta macros there.)
/cast Pick Pocket
/cast Cheap Shot
Swap Cheap Shot for Ambush or whichever opener that you use. The Pick Pocket will keep you in healing potions and lockboxes as you level.
It might be a good idea to put your Shadow Dance hotkeys on a second action bar, and swap it in when you do the dance. Here’s a macro to switch action bars when you do just that, also taken from Arena Junkies.
Set up bar 2 to be your main bar with Sap on it, Ambush instead of Backstab, Cheap Shot instead of Kidney Shot, and Garrote over Rupture. Hit the Shadow Dance macro once to activate, and a second time to swap your bar back to normal.
/cast Shadow Dance
/swapactionbar 1 2
Comments? Besides the obvious ones about my newbishness.